Chana Masala Recipe | Punjabi Chole Recipe | Vegan Chana Masala Curry
One thing which I always miss while staying abroad is the delicious Chana Masala/Punjabi Chole made in my home. This used to be one of my favorite Breakfast or Lunch or Dinner. Trust me Chana Masala is that good that it goes so well with any meal of the day. Plus Indians breakfasts are known to be heavy as when we serve this with traditional accompaniment Bhature, this becomes exponentially delicious. 😀
Chana Masala recipe is extremely popular in Northern India, especially in Punjab region. I am sharing today my easy recipe for making chana masala at home. This version of my recipe is a little different from what you get in restaurants but it tastes better!!!
This recipe is very high in Protein Diet plus it meets all the Vegan standards. So another delicious treat for my Vegan friends.
Do try! If you like the recipe do share in comments below the post and let me know. In case you want to ask for substitutes for any ingredients just ask me via email or via comment.
Chana Masala Recipe
Level – Intermediate
- 250 grams chickpeas (channa soaked in water for 12 hours)
- 4 tablespoon oil
- 2 pc bay leaf (tej patta)
- 1 inch stick cinnamon (dalchini)
- 3-4 cloves laung
- 1/2 tsp whole pepper corns (sabut kali mirch)
- 3 green cardamom (choti elaichi)
- 1 black cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1.5 tsp chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 2 tsp coriander powder (dhaniya powder)
- 1 tsp cumin powder (zeera powder)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (zeera)
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida ((Optional))
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup onions (chopped)
- 2 cup tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 tsp ginger (chopped)
- 1 tsp garlic (chopped)
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 green chili (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 Tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 teaspoon kasoori methi (fenugreek leaves)
clean Chana (chickpeas) add salt and pressure-cook it until 6-7 whistle.
In a pan add oil, bay leaf, cinnamon, cumin seeds, cloves, whole peppercorns, green, black cardamom and asafoetida
- After it gets golden brown add chopped onions and saute it.
- After sauteing add chopped ginger and garlic.
Then add turmeric, chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, salt and fry well. After stirring well add tomatoes and salt to the chana (chickpeas).
fry for 6-7 minutes. Add little water.
Now add the chana (chickpeas) and fenugreek leaves and garam masala to the masala.
and sauté it for another 5 minutes
- Now add chopped green chilies and water for the base.
Simmer the chana (chickpeas) gently for half an hour and cover it.
Add lime juice to it.
Garnish the chana (chickpeas) with coriander and chopped green chillies.
Serve the chole hot with Bhaturas.
You can add 2-3 teaspoons of chole masala if you have. It’s an optional step.
For a non-vegan variant you can add 1 table spoon of clarified butter (Ghee) as garnishing.