Chole Bhature Recipe
Chole Bhature, a dish from the Punjabi cuisine, is a combination of chana masala (spicy white chickpeas) and bhatura, a fried bread made from maida flour (soft wheat).
Chole bhature is often eaten as a breakfast, however, it can also be a street food or a complete meal, and may be accompanied by, for example, onions, carrot pickle, green chutney and achaar.
I am adding the complete recipe for Chole Bhature which you can prepare easily at home. Do try! If you like the recipe do share in comments below the post and let me know. In case you want to ask for substitutes for any ingredients just ask me via email or via comment.
It’s a combination of two of my recipes listed below.
How to make Chana Masala – Chana Masala Recipe
How to make Bhature – Bhature Recipe
Chana Masala Recipe
Level – Intermediate
- 250 grams chickpeas (channa soaked in water for 12 hours)
- 4 tablespoon oil
- 2 pc bay leaf (tej patta)
- 1 inch stick cinnamon (dalchini)
- 3-4 cloves laung
- 1/2 tsp whole pepper corns (sabut kali mirch)
- 3 green cardamom (choti elaichi)
- 1 black cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1.5 tsp chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 2 tsp coriander powder (dhaniya powder)
- 1 tsp cumin powder (zeera powder)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (zeera)
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida ((Optional))
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup onions (chopped)
- 2 cup tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 tsp ginger (chopped)
- 1 tsp garlic (chopped)
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 green chili (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 Tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 teaspoon kasoori methi (fenugreek leaves)
clean Chana (chickpeas) add salt and pressure-cook it until 6-7 whistle.
In a pan add oil, bay leaf, cinnamon, cumin seeds, cloves, whole peppercorns, green, black cardamom and asafoetida
- After it gets golden brown add chopped onions and saute it.
- After sauteing add chopped ginger and garlic.
Then add turmeric, chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, salt and fry well. After stirring well add tomatoes and salt to the chana (chickpeas).
fry for 6-7 minutes. Add little water.
Now add the chana (chickpeas) and fenugreek leaves and garam masala to the masala.
and sauté it for another 5 minutes
- Now add chopped green chilies and water for the base.
Simmer the chana (chickpeas) gently for half an hour and cover it.
Add lime juice to it.
Garnish the chana (chickpeas) with coriander and chopped green chillies.
Serve the chole hot with Bhaturas.
You can add 2-3 teaspoons of chole masala if you have. It’s an optional step.
For a non-vegan variant you can add 1 table spoon of clarified butter (Ghee) as garnishing.
Bhature Recipe | Bhatura Recipe
Level – Expert
- 3 cups maida (refined flour)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup yoghurt
- Water to knead
- Oil for frying
- Knead the whole wheat flour, maida, sugar, yoghurt and salt together with the adequate amount of water. Let it rest for 3-4 hours.
- Divide it into equal portions. Roll out in an oval or round shape.
- Deep fry until golden brown, like a puri.