Prawn 65 Recipe
Prawn 65 is a spicy, Desi Chinese dish that is originating from Chennai, India, as an entrée, or quick snack. It is usually served with onion and lemon garnish. Vegetarian variants like “Paneer 65” or “Gobi 65” use paneer (cottage cheese) or cauliflower instead. Chicken 65 is also a very popular variant of this dish prepared with Chicken as main ingredient.
You can replace Prawns with Paneer for a vegetarian variant of this dish. You can find my recipe to make paneer at this link.
The flavour of the dish can be attributed to red chillies but the exact set of ingredients for the recipe can vary.
- 500 gms Prawns (cleaned)
- 2 Tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 Tsp Turmeric powder
- 0.5 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 0.5 Tbsp Garam masala
- 1 Tbsp Ginger-Garlic paste
- 0.5 Tsp Mustard seeds
- 0.5 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Pc Egg
- 1.5 Tbsp Chilly powder ((Adjust as per taste))
- 2 Tbsp Corn Flour powder
- 0.5 Tsp Black pepper powder
- Salt (to taste)
- Oil (to fry)
- 7-8 Curry Leaves (Fresh is better, however dried works well too.)
- 2 Pc Green chilies (Finely chopped)
- 1 Pc Onion (Finely chopped)
- Clean and wash the prawns and drain water completely.
- Marinate the prawns with salt, lemon juice, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder,ginger garlic paste, egg white, red chilly powder, corn flour powder and pepper powder.
- Mix and keep aside for 30 mins.
- Heat oil in a fry pan and fry the marinated prawns in batches. Fry on medium high flame for 5-6 minutes . ( do not over fry it ,it will make your prawns dry and chewy)
Remove and drain oil.
- Heat a tsp of oil in another fry pan.
- Add cumin and mustard seeds and let it splatter.
- Add chopped onion,green chilies sauté it till it’s light golden brown.
- Add curry leaves.
- Add the fried prawns and sauté for few seconds. Garnish it with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot as appetizer or starter.