Rajma Recipe | Red Kidney Beans Curry Recipe
Rajma Chawal – Rajma served with Rice is one of the most popular dish in India especially northern part of Indian Subcontinent. I am providing below my recipe for preparing Rajma. I will also add another variant of this dish where you do not have to use pressure cooker soon.
Rajma (Red Kidney Beans Curry)
- 300 grams Rajma (red kidney beans) Soaked in water for 7-8 hours
- 1 Medium sized Onion Finely Chopped
- 3 Medium sized Tomato Finely Chopped or grated
- 2 teaspoon Ginger-Garlic 1:1 ratio, Finely Chopped
- 2.5 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1.5 teaspoon Red chilly power (Adjust as per your taste)
- 0.5 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 0.5 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 Green chilies (optional)
- 1.5 teaspoon Rajma masala (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 4 tablespoons Oil
Special Garam masala (Spice Mix) for rajma
- 2 Cloves
- 1 Black cardamom
- 3 Green cardamom
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 1/4 Star anise
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
In a pressure cooker take 1 litre of water, presoaked rajma (red kidney beans), salt and pressure cook it till 6 whistles.
In a pan heat oil.
Add cumin seeds & bay leaves and let it splutter.
Add finely chopped onions and cook it till translucent.
Add ginger garlic and cook it for another 3 minutes.
Add tomato and cook it again for another 5 minutes.
Now add coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, rajma masala and cook it till oil separates from the masala.
Add boiled rajma and 1/2 teaspoon of garam masala to it & cook till one whistle. After removing pressure add chopped green chillies and coriander leaves and serve it hot with Rice.
Tip: if your rajma (red kidney beans) is not soft even after boiling it for 5-6 whistle add few ice cubes (7-8) to it and pressure cook for 2-3 whistle, it will soften rajma)