Rajma Recipe | Red Kidney Beans Curry Recipe
Rajma Chawal – Rajma served with Rice is one of the most popular dish in India especially northern part of Indian Subcontinent. I am providing below my recipe for preparing Rajma. I will also add another variant of this dish where you do not have to use pressure cooker soon.
Rajma (Red Kidney Beans Curry)
A 100 gram serving of boiled Rajma beans contains about 140 calories, 5.7 grams of protein, 5.9 grams of fat and 18 grams of carbohydrate. Rajma chawal, i.e. Rajma served with boiled rice, is a popular dish throughout northern India and Nepal
- 300 grams Rajma (red kidney beans) (Soaked in water for 7-8 hours)
- 1 Medium sized Onion (Finely Chopped)
- 3 Medium sized Tomato (Finely Chopped or grated)
- 2 teaspoon Ginger-Garlic (1:1 ratio, Finely Chopped)
- 2.5 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1.5 teaspoon Red chilly power ((Adjust as per your taste))
- 0.5 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 0.5 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 Green chilies ((optional))
- 1.5 teaspoon Rajma masala ((optional))
- Salt (to taste)
- 4 tablespoons Oil
Special Garam masala (Spice Mix) for rajma
- 2 Cloves
- 1 Black cardamom
- 3 Green cardamom
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 1/4 Star anise
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- In a pressure cooker take 1 litre of water, presoaked rajma (red kidney beans), salt and pressure cook it till 6 whistles.
- In a pan heat oil.
- Add cumin seeds & bay leaves and let it splutter.
- Add finely chopped onions and cook it till translucent.
- Add ginger garlic and cook it for another 3 minutes.
- Add tomato and cook it again for another 5 minutes.
- Now add coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, rajma masala and cook it till oil separates from the masala.
- Add boiled rajma and 1/2 teaspoon of garam masala to it & cook till one whistle. After removing pressure add chopped green chillies and coriander leaves and serve it hot with Rice.
Tip: if your rajma (red kidney beans) is not soft even after boiling it for 5-6 whistle add few ice cubes (7-8) to it and pressure cook for 2-3 whistle, it will soften rajma)